Suhakam inquiry into disappearance of Pastor Koh ends on Friday (Dec 7) – Nation

Mother of missing pastor passes away - Nation

KUALA LUMPUR: The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) inquiry into the disappearance of Pastor Raymond Koh ends Friday (Dec 7), more than a year after it started.

Altogether, the inquiry took 21 days and heard testimony from 16 witnesses.

The last day of the inquiry heard testimony from two witnesses from the police, as well as Koh’s wife Susanna Liew.

The inquiry on Friday heard several discrepancies and contradictions about the retrieval of several items during a police shootout in June 2017 that led to the death of a suspected arms and drugs smuggler in Kedah.

When testifying, Special Task Force on Organise Crime (STAFOC) chief of operations Supt Hazril Kamis had contradicted statements given previously by former IGP Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar and other high ranking police officers.

Hazril was also grilled about a search list on items seized, with lawyers pointing out discrepancies on reports he claimed were written by him.

Suhakam commissioner Datuk Mah Weng Kwai, who led the inquiry said that all the lawyers would have to hand in their submissions on Jan 15, with Jan 31 being the day to submit replies to the submissions.

Liew said that it was a bit of a relief that the inquiry was over as it had been a long process, which she considered “enlightening”.

“We are looking forward and we have great expectation that Pastor Raymond and the rest will be released and that the culprits will be brought to justice,” she said.

She added that she would also hold the present government accountable, even though the abduction occurred during the last administration.

“We still hope they will take action without fear or favour and there will be a resolution soon. It has been almost two years,” she said.

The inquiry was held under Section 12(1) of the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia Act in connection with the disappearances of Koh, social activist Amri Che Mat, Pastor Joshua Hilmi and his wife, Ruth Sitepu.

The inquiry into the other disappearances will go on as scheduled.

Koh, 62, was abducted by a group of men along Jalan SS4B/10 in Petaling Jaya on Feb 13, 2017, while on his way to a friend’s house.

CCTV footage believed to be of the incident showed at least 15 men and three black SUVs involved in the abduction, which was done in “professional” style.

Koh’s silver-coloured car bearing the number plate ST5515D has still not been found.

Visit original news source


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here