KUALA LUMPUR: Minister of Law in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Liew Vui Keong has revealed the composition of the steering committee of the special Cabinet committee on implementing the Malaysian Agreement 1963 (MA63).
”The committees have six months to come up with a report that will be presented to the Cabinet,” he said at a press conference after chairing the “Law Reform Talk” at Universiti Malaya’ Faculty of Law on Wednesday (Oct 10).
The steering committee, said Liew will be chaired by the Prime Minister and consists of the Chief Secretary, all Cabinet ministers, Chief Ministers of Sabah and Sarawak, state Attorney-Generals of Sabah and Sarawak and academicians.
”As for the technical committee and working committee composition, they will be announced by the steering committee later.
”Among issues that will be discussed include oil royalties, equal distribution, the Petroleum Development Act (PDA) 1974 and regional development that are close to the heart and mind of Sabahan and Sarawakians,” he said.
Earlier on Wednesday, Sarawak Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg said the special Cabinet committee on the MA63 should be expanded to include MPs and assemblymen from Sarawak.
He said a larger committee was necessary to look at the whole Federal Constitution and MA63, with regard to Sarawak’s rights and position in Malaysia.
“I have expressed our view that this committee should be expanded. It should not only be a Cabinet committee.
“It must be like the Inter-Governmental Committee (IGC) to study all aspects of our Constitution as well as the Malaysia Agreement,” he said after opening the Borneo Water and Wastewater Exhibition and Conference.
>>Steering committee of the special Cabinet committee on implementing the MA63
Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad
1. Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal
2. Sarawak Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg
3. Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Law) Datuk Liew Vui Keong
4. Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng
5. Economic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali
6. Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo
7. Foreign Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah
8. Works Minister Baru Bian
9. International Trade and Industry Minister Darell Leiking
10. Transport Minister Anthony Loke Siew Fook
11. Chief Secretary to the Government Datuk Seri Dr Ismail Bakar
12. Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak Datuk David Wong Dak Wah
13. Attorney-General Tommy Thomas
14. Universiti Malaya Professor of Law Prof Datuk Dr Shad Saleem Faruqi
15. Sabah Attorney-General Zaleha Rose Pandin
16. Sarawak Attorney General Datuk Talat Mahmood Abdul Rashid